GIS 5050 Final Project

 I must admit, if I had known how long this project would have taken, I would have begun it quite a bit further in advance. Most of the information on it was taught up to Module 5, though it is far easier once Module 6 is completed. So, maybe I would not have. 

When you are taking this class in the shorter 'half-season' semesters  you learn a lot, however, you can feel as though your mind is overindulged with the vast amount of information that was digested so rapidly. This project finally sorts all of that clutter out and I, personally, feel as though I am a far better GIS analyst at the end of this project as I was even a week ago.

In giving my final presentation, I realized several glaring errors I think I made: 

1. Was not providing an ACTUAL created basemap. Instead of going through the function Create Basemap, I used my consistent layers when putting together my map for this specific slide.

2. In doing an intersect to find which parcels intersected with the corridor, I think my polygon count was way off because it was counting the actual vertices of the polygon that intersected the corridor from the project NOT the polygons themselves. I did not quite understand what was being asked for at this part of project, but I will get into that later. 

3. For my transcript, I literally wrote it as a transcript of what I was saying in presentation (literal definition). I am not sure, but I believe they wanted more of an academic write up that I based my presentation off of. Regardless, the intricate description of my work was recorded in my process summary.

My advice for any future students reading this is to do the process summary while doing the work. I waited until the end to go back and fill out my process summary and it was rather painstaking remembering what I did when I was troubleshooting some questions I had problems with.

The project involved finding the number and areas of various features that will be potentially impacted by a potential power line corridor in western Florida. It pretty much was an exercise in map layout, queries, unions, and calculating percentages and sums. It covered the most commonly used aspects of each of the previous modules and allowed one to use the tools to answer questions similar to, but seeking slightly different results as questions in previous modules.

In the beginning it was very difficult remembering all of the subtleties and small details from previous projects. Earlier modules were my go-to. All of our results were then compiled in a powerpoint presentation and transcript. We then filmed ourselves delivering the presentation. Below I have submitted the links for the presentation files.

All of this neurosis aside, I feel incredibly competent having completed the assignment. If I were presented with another one, I could complete the project rather quickly. This project makes you good at the basics. Since we are here to learn, I am incredibly grateful for the experience. 

It highlighted some of the things I would like to improve on, such as, getting better layouts in my final maps (mine sometimes appear too small) and manipulating percentages in my data tables. I have been perusing other students' and some of them have quite nice layouts. I believe I can learn a bit from watching how they visualize data. 

Either way, this is a fantastic class and am proud to have completed it!

Here are links to my transcript, powerpoint, and presentation. 

Transcript:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/113irt-dXs59Cnwi-DEb0ueSXlDYdQBHD/view?usp=sharing

PowerPoint:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/11AafTAm7wpMIGy6bXV9v1KWdLl60Oriu/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=116165945960533515907&rtpof=true&sd=true

Video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/119Gr1iOj95uokQd4-4i1Pwwr98fakBgx/view?usp=sharing

Comments