Module 3 - Projection and Data Collection with ArcGis Field Maps

    In this map, we were presented with a data set that contained shapefile data for county boundaries in the state of Florida. We were then tasked to create maps displaying each of these data sets in different commonly used map projections. We then highlighted several of the counties and contrasted how their area (in square miles) differed uniquely for each map. We also observed how each map of the state of Florida varied from projection to projection. 
    The given data set was obtained from the Florida Geographic Data Library. Using the project tool in ArcGis' Geoprocessing Toolbox, we converted the data into a visual display in the Albers Conical Equal Area projection, the NAD 1983 Universal Trans Mercator Zone 16 N projection, and the NAD 1983 HARN State Plane Florida North projection. 
    The map displays each individual projection, a scale bar with miles as the unit of measurement, a legend displaying the contrasting counties of note, and a table that contains the area in square miles of each county of note. As you can see, between each projection, the analyzed area differs slightly. It is an illustration of how different map projections can result in altered measurements when analyzing spatial data. 



    In the next lab, we were tasked with collecting point data of a unique set of features that represented some form of public safety interest or general point of interest. Living in Ponce Inlet, Florida, I had seen on my morning runs that many of the public and private boardwalks leading from parking lots and residences were still in varying states of disrepair from hurricane Ian in 2022. 
    For my layer file, I decided to use these as my points of interest. After building a layer file in ArcGis Pro, I uploaded it to a shared database in ArcGis Online. I was then able to access that layer file through my smart phone via the application ArcGis Field Maps. With this stunning piece of software, I was able to walk to each boardwalk, document its state of repair (our fields being excellent, fair, or poor) and, through GPS built into the software, collect its coordinates and take a picture of the boardwalk. I then synced it to the map on the ArcGis Online database which created a map. I could then use this map to make a file which allowed for the data to be displayed in ArcGis Pro, ArcGis Online, or Google Earth. 
When the points were clicked, it then displayed the coordinate data, my picture, the condition, and notes I took at each site. Below is an image of my data displayed in Google Earth. 
    Comically enough, as I went out to collect the data, the village had begun rapidly repairing most of the boardwalks and bulkheads that resided beneath them. I believe this may have been in preparation to get a jump on this year's hurricane season. I was quite surprised when, over the past two weeks, many of my target data sites were in excellent condition!


Comments